A slimy superfood, okra is rich source of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins; often recommended by nutritionists in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs. Traditionally, crunchy okra is sliced and deep fried to get the right bite and remove the viscosity . I baked it and was very happy with the results!
- Okra, 1 lb.
- White onion, 2
- Cumin seeds, 1 tbsp.
- Crushed red pepper, 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala, 1 tbsp.
- Paprika, 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Thinly bias slice okra (holding the knife at an angle). This allows the slices to be thin but big enough to be a good bite.
- Thinly slice onions.
- Mix in a bake tray and sprinkle with cumin seeds, crushed red pepper, paprika, garam masala, salt and black pepper. I have kept the spice measurements on the generous side but you can adjust according to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat all pieces.
- Bake for about 1 hour. Halfway through, remove from the oven and mix the ingredients again to ensure even cooking. Replace dish and keep checking color frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with lemon juice and it is ready to serve!