3 medium eggplants
1 medium onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
3-4 fresh curry leaves
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. red chillies
1 tsp. tamarind paste
4-5 sprigs cilantro
1-2 green chilies
2 tbsp. olive oil
sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and roast the eggplants for 20 minutes. This is a pre-step that softens the pulp and makes it easier to mash.
- With a pair of tongs, place on an open flame and singe the skin till nicely charred and flaky. Allow cooling time and then simply peel off.
- Cut up the flesh and mash into a pulp consistency.
- Saute the diced onions till clear and starting to brown on edges. Add the tomatoes and curry leaves (careful as these will sputter). Add all the dry spices and cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Once done, add the eggplant and tamarind. Cook on medium heat till liquid has evaporated; about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the chopped chilies and cilantro and serve hot.