Kichri is the ultimate food. It combines the powerhouse of lentils, a source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin and vitamin K and rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate and iron, with the comforting carbohydrates of basmati rice. A whole meal with chutneys or a vehicle for carrying more spiced dishes, it is versatile and can be prepared with various ingredients that add complexity or it can be kept simple and soothing, the way I love it.
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed in several washes of cold water
half cup split mung lentils (or any other yellow daal can be used), also rinsed
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
half tsp. cumin seeds
2 tbsp. ghee
salt to taste
- Add ghee to a heated pan.
- Add cumin seeds and when they start to sizzle put in the shallots. Saute till they start to brown on the edges (around 3-5 minutes).
- Add the rice and lentils and lightly fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add water to cover the rice in a 3:2 ratio.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add salt and cook for 15-20 minutes till the rice and lentils are fluffy and all the water has evaporated.
Eat with your favorite dish or chutneys. Pairs perfectly with vegetable ginger medley.
6 Comments Add yours
Love your recipes!
First time coming across Shallot being used instead of regular onions. wonder!
Just applied the Soothing Khichri to as.my first attempt for homemade khichri – it is divine. Thanks Mooli.life!