A can of chickpeas, another of black-eyed peas and a beet. These are the things that I jumped out at me when looking for lunch. Good enough.
- Black-eyed peas
- Beet, boiled/ roasted and cut into small bites
- Onion, diced
- Tomato, diced
- coriander leaves, chopped
- green chilli, sliced
- dried pomegranate seeds (for tanginess and crunch. Plus, I had them in my pantry. If you do not, no worries.)
- white pepper
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- garam masala
- Drain the liquid and combine the two peas
- Add the onion, tomato and green chillies and stir
- Add the pomegranate seeds, salt and a generous pinch of garam masala, white pepper, paprika
- Drizzle with oil and squeeze half a lemon.
- Mix to serve.
I went to the grocery store to get some herbs today. On the way, I found myself thinking if it was worth it even though I had my face covering and gloves. Such are the crazy times that we live in! We have the luxury of being able to get groceries online. What about the elderly who don’t have the means to do that? Or the essential workers in the grocery stores that I was scared to visit? Or those who are moving the garbage that we are accumulating as we burrow in our apartments? Or those who can’t social distance because they live in such physically tight spaces? We have to look at how we treat those who are less able or have fewer options or carry our backs when we are out. And it all comes down to income disparity and giving back. We really have to think about how we are going to move away from this ugliness that has been revealed and towards a more equitable, compassionate world.
Please be safe, think of others and eat healthy xx