A rustic, versatile side dish packed with flavor! Kale simmered in a smashed tomato sauce.
- 1 bunch kale, stalks removed and chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, whole
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground clove *
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom *
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Drizzle a preheated pan with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Add mustard seeds till they sizzle.
- Add garlic and let it browns slightly.
- Slit the tomatoes, add to the pan and cover to cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and with a slotted spoon, press down on the tomatoes till they smash and become pulpy.
- Add the spices and kale. Mix well and cover for another 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let cool slightly before serving.
Super quick, tasty and nutritious! Enjoy as a side dish to a number of entrees.
- Can be substituted with garam masala.